Thursday, June 9, 2011

Poisoned Cats... Users must use rodent poison in a safe manner...

RSPCA appeal after cats found poisoned in Wisbech

Wednesday, June 8, 2011
2:57 PM

The animal welfare charity has received reports of six cats, all belonging to the same owner, becoming sick and dying in the Beechwood Road area.

Three of the cats were found dying or dead over the course of a few days up to last Thursday.
Another two cats became very unwell on Friday and were taken to a vet by their owner where they were put to sleep to prevent them from suffering further. The final cat, Tinkerbell, returned home yesterday with the same symptoms as the other cats. She was also taken to the vet and had to be put to sleep.
The cats had blood coming from their mouths and were collapsed and lethargic. Vets believe that they had been poisoned, possibly by rat poison.
The RSPCA understands that a dog also died on Monday after ingesting rat poison in a nearby road.
RSPCA inspector Richard Lythgoe said: “These reports are extremely worrying. The animals suffered slow, painful deaths and their owners have been put through a huge amount of unnecessary distress.
“The RSPCA is opposed to the use of poisons which cause suffering to animals and poison should never be laid where any animals other than the target species can access it.
“Anyone laying poison where other animals, such as cats or dogs, can find it runs the risk of being prosecuted.”
Insp Lythgoe said owners should stop their animals picking anything up outside if possible.
He said if an animal becomes sick, the owner should seek veterinary advice immediately.
He added: “If anyone has any information about poison being laid in the Wisbech area they should contact the RSPCA on 0300 123 4999 to save any other animals falling victim to such awful suffering.”


Rodenticide needs to used in a secured fashion. If using outdoors, always use a rodent baiting box.

If using indoors, trays can be used but only if pets are not present. Most poisons contain bitrex, a anti human bittering agent, however most pets may still eat the poison.

Visit for a small range of rodent boxes.



Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More